I compile a lot of playlists. Songs That Remind Me Of Oceans, Favorite Violin Solos in Rock Songs, Music to Pay Your Rent Late To, etc. I also do a monthly playlist. The monthly list is a good one, it gets filled slowly and selectively, with the new stuff that's coming out, stuff that my iTunes excavates in shuffle mode, lots and lots indy rock that Charlie sends me, classic songs I never get tired of, old stuff that I'm discovering for the first time, current obsessions.
One or two months after the fact, it's a lot of fun to go back and have 45 minutes of music that can instantly recall what was going on in my life, the best and worst of what was happening. I'm gonna do this for a few years I think - make myself an audio photo album, because I can't always necessarily remember where I was or what I was doing in a particular picture. But songs? Always.
September's List has a few more days to see if any other songs surface, but here are two in the back catalog. I'm not sure I could recommend them as "albums" persey. Some of the songs are incongruent with one another - if I were divising a playlist to actually give someone a lot of things would be edited and rearranged and replaced.
For the sake of posting the genuine article, I left everything alone.
August 2007
Time Bomb - The Format
(I Don't Need You To) Set Me Free - Grinderman
Sunshine - Atmosphere
Night Windows - The Weakerthans
Best Of You - Foo Fighters
Seahorse - Devendra Banhart
A Girl In Port - Okkervil River
Lake Michigan - Rogue Wave
Resurrection Fern - Iron & Wine
Black Metal Valentine - Califone
Sleeping Lessons - The Shins
July 2007
Lavinia - The Veils
Black - Okkervil River
Revival - Soulsavers
Papillon - The Twilight Singers
The Bridge - Elliott Brood
The Girl From Back Them - Kings of Convenience
Quills - The Roots
Over And Over - Apparat
Calendar Girl - Stars
This Song is Brought To You By A Falling Bomb - Thursday
Call Me On Your Way Back Home - Ryan Adams
Arm in Arm - The Boggs
Sooner Or Later They'll Get Any Of Us - Thee Missouri
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment