Thursday, January 10, 2008

Sometimes I Am A Whore

for anime. Every time I go home and see my sister she's got her hands on some sort of incredibly amazing cartoon/ movie/ animated series that I have never seen/heard of/or ignored. This time, it was Samurai Jack. A Cartoon Network production created by Genndy Tartakovsky (Dexter's Lab) that lasted four seasons and whose animators won four Emmy's for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Animation, three years in a row. Holy.

It really is stunning - highly detailed masked animation that borrows stylistically from both japanese and american cinema and themes that pull from the mythology of every culture on the planet - with very little dialogue Samurai Jack relies very little on story line and much more on character and visuals to carry you through the episodes. I got through nine hours of episodes before I passed out.

I dug through YouTube for at least an hour looking for a decent clip. I forgot how hilarious and fanatic anime fandom is - you can find montages set to everything from Linkin' Park to Hotel California to a Samurai Jack version of the 300 trailer, but actual clips are rare. This is the best I could come up with:



God, I wish that clip had the end on it! It's so...ugh, awesome! And the color! And the cinemascope! The best part might be the bad guy, though. Here he is. Yes, set to the Batman Beyond theme. Deal.



Straight out of a Japanese horror story, no?

...

...you want the fan video, don't you.



School is in, sucker.

No comments: